Mt. Field National Park: Tarn Shelf + Russell Falls
- Duration: 1 Days (approx.)
- Location: Hobart, Tasmania
- Product code: MFWW21
Mt Field National Park is one of Tasmania's most loved national parks. The park has a wide variety of scenic features and wildlife and offers a great range of facilities for day visitors. Few other national parks in Australia offer such a diversity in vegetation, ranging from tall swamp gum forests and massive tree ferns at the base of the mountain, through rainforest along the Lake Dobson Road, to alpine vegetation at the higher elevations.
- Departs Hobart Travel and Information Centre - 8:30am (20 Davey Street)
- Drive along the Derwent River and learn the history of this rich agricultural region.
- Enjoy morning tea with plunger coffee/herbal tea and fruit
- Arriving at the Mount Field National Park, we drive the rustic roadway to the Mount Field ski fields.
- First off, we hike to the Tarn Shelf, a 2.5 hr trail via Lake Seal Lookout, Rodway Hut, returning via the Pencil Pines of the Pandani Grove Walk. - this 6km return trail involves some short, but steep uphill sections with some loose rocks.
- We enjoy lunch in a mountain hut or if weather permits, outside overlooking the Tarn Shelf and Broad River Valley.
- Hiking back down from the shelf, we finish this section with a short walk around the beautiful Lake Dobson.
- Finishing the afternoon we visit the iconic Russell Falls before hitting the road home.
- This 20min trail takes us under huge tree ferns and giant eucalyptus forests, some of the tallest trees on earth! Finishing up at Tasmania's most celebrated waterfall, Russell Falls.
- We aim to be back in Hobart at 5:30PM with complimentary accommodation drop-offs.
Walking time: 4.5 hours | Walking distance: 10KM
Terrain; Sub-alpine, mixed forest, rain forest, ski fields.
Track Rating: 3 - Some steep sections, loose rocks, exposed, partly board walked with signed tracks.
Food/Drinks: Morning tea (plunger coffee/tea), picnic lunch